Standing Rib Roast
- 1 standing rib roast
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp English mustard
- 1 cup chopped herbs (thyme, parsley, Rosemary, oregano)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp chilli flakes
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup white wine
- 100ml olive oil
- 1 tsp dark muscovado sugar
- salt and pepper
- Pat meat all over with paper towels, then season it all over with the salt and pepper, rub the English mustard all over the meat.
- To prepare the chimichurri , combine all ingredients in a glass jug with a whisk and rub some of it all over the meat. Let the meat come to room temperature for 2-3 hours.
- Heat the oven to 200oC. Place meat bone-side down in a roasting pan. Roast for 20 minutes, then turn heat to 180oC and continue to roast until the meat registers rare or medium rare using an instant-read thermometer. Timing depends on your oven, shape and weight of your roast so start checking after the meat has been in the oven for an hour, but it could take 1½ or even longer. Pour the chimichurri over the meat in small quantities every time you check the roast until is all gone.
- Let meat rest at room temperature for 20 minutes before carving.
- Serve with roast vegetables, potatoes, Yorkshire pudding, gravy and horseradish sauce.
- This roast will serve 8 to 12 people!